Monday, August 2, 2010

Moving Forward Back

There's a Temple of the Dog song called Pushin Forward Back.  For some reason this morning I have the catchy refrain in my head.  My family and I just finished moving to St. Paul this weekend.  Back to school with me... I need to get smarter to keep my job.  So for the next two years I will take courses at Luther Seminary and try to sharpen my insights.

I'm originally from Minnesota - the big town of Willmar.  I've been infatuated with the Twin Cities since I was a kid.  The few times my parents would take us to Valley Fair, a Twins game, or the great white north, I was mesmerized by the tall buildings and winding four lane roads.  I've always wanted to live here... and now here I am.  I ripped my family up from four years of putting down roots in Sioux Center, Iowa.  Four years was plenty of time for my older kids to become best friends with the neighbor kids.  Enough time to finally coax the two Hispanic kids from across the street to come play soccer with us.  Enough time to become "regulars" at local restaurants and coffee shops.  More than enough time for my wife's family to get used to the idea of having us around.  Then, like a band aid, with one violent motion .... here we are, sitting on the western edge of St. Paul on a humid August afternoon.

I can tell the kids are a bit out of sorts.  They have all cried at one point or another... and our youngest - who will be three in a few weeks - told my wife she wanted to sleep in the "crib" at "her house".  Hopefully they will be alright... everyone says they will.  "It will be good for them" I've heard more times then I can count.  I hope they're right.

In the mean time I guess we'll have to make due.  We've been to Ikea already - and my oldest daughter is bound and determined to go to the Mall of America for some reason.  (She heard there is a roller coaster inside...and some doll store).  My son - well he's already reaped the benefits of living in the area.  Yesterday we took the bus downtown to Target Field and took in a ball game.  At this point he mainly goes to eat hot dogs and drink soda - but that's not that much different then his old man.  He got a free baseball bat for being a kid - and we saw the Twins beat the Mariners 4-0 behind a solid outing by Francisco Lirano.  Oh well... I guess we'll have to make the best of it.

No comments: