Monday, May 24, 2010

Lost

Yes... I admit it.  I was hooked on Lost.  My wife and I got into it late... 2nd season... so we spent one summer watching all the back episodes.  Since then we have watched (or should I say taped and watched... yes we still use VHS tapes) every week it has been on.  I'll admit there were times when I thought it was extremely close to "jumping the shark" - I didn't particularly like the time travel episodes - but we stuck with it and put the whole thing to rest last night.

I admit to being surprised by the ending - only because I thought it would be too obvious to have it be about death.  I had read early on in the series about those who thought the Island was a form of purgatory... which sounded interesting... but since it was out there I didn't think the writers would go there.  Not that the Island was purgatory - as Jack's father insisted it was all real - but the side ways reality had to have been purgatory... especially since Ben refused to go into the church because he had to work some things out first.

I'm not sure what I think about the ending.  There were many questions not answered...most of them pertaining to the Island.  I thought the "man in black" or smoke monster issue was totally under resolved - landing with a metaphorical thud with "smoke Locke" hitting the rocks.  (Why didn't Jack turn into a"smoke monster"?  Because he was "the one"... he had drank the "kool aid"?)

What was I hoping for?  Not sure... maybe that Jack would become the smoke monster once again trapped on the Island - left to contend with Hurley as he sought a way to leave.  (After all - Jack was the one obsessed with leaving for most of the show...) That as one plane took off another would crash - starting the whole cycle over again.  Or... that they were all patients in a mental ward.

Overall it was good... not great... but good.  The ending was satisfying but I'm not sure it will stick with me like the final episode of The Sporano's.  I still think the final Sporano's episode was a work of genius - it's all there if we have eyes to see.  I guess it goes without saying that Tony Soprano could kick the crap out of Jack Shepard any day.

No comments: