Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Good Pagan


I sometimes think I would have made a wonderful pagan.  I love the music of Led Zepplin... their sound makes me think of druids and norsemen - in part because it makes me think of The Lord of the Rings.  The pulsing beat of heavy metal music has made me happy ever since I began to learn to play the guitar... nothing gives me more pleasure then a power chord fused with gutteral screams and a 4/4 rhythm.

 I love to experience and reflect upon the natural world.  Even though I am deeply immersed in a tradition that emphasizes the development of creation - most of the time I want to leave it alone.  I find there is something awe inspiring about the sight of ruins... the created world taking back our human attempts to control the natural world.  Lately I've been reading Norse myths - maybe as an attempt to recover my heritage - or relive my comic book days.  I loved reading comics about Conan the Barbarian and Thorr, and I am particularly fond of Tolkien's essay On Fairy Stories in which, while discussing the relationship between history and myth, he envisions the voice of an angry red haired Scandinavian farmer thundering through the mountains.

I'm teaching the Theology senior sem. course again this semester - which I very much enjoy.  Last time I taught it I had students read G.K. Chesterton.  I appreciate Chesterton's generosity (except, ironically, toward Calvin and Calvinism!).  I can't remember the source but I do recall reading a selection in which he discusses how Christianity does not abolish the festivals of paganism... it absorbs them.  Christianity takes them up - changes their focus - and allows the party to continue.  For Chesterton Christianity provides the freedom to engage, and dare I say enjoy, ancient mythology, greek philosophy, and Led Zepplin.  The tradition of which I am a part wants to discern all things pagan from all things that are biblical and therefore distinctly Christian.  A difficult endeavor - more difficult then we are willing to admit I think - but I get it.  But I will always have a Chesterton side to my theology because it gives me the freedom to be a bit pagan... to be able to be Christian and still listen to Them Crooked Vultures.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matt Gerrelts said...

This is a good book I read last semester that I think you might enjoy (given the time): http://www.amazon.com/Chesterton-Tolkien-As-Theologians-Fantasy/dp/0567040941