Friday, October 24, 2008

Pacific Northwest



I knew I would love it... Obvious I would love it. Lately I've been looking like a lumberjack. I would say it's a "projection of my digital self" but it's not digital. I have this big beard... and long hair. So I fit right in at the local cafe with a view of the Pacific... eating Clam Chowder and a Roast Beef sandwich.


I'm in Lynden, Washington for the weekend - Jim Schaap's hired thug. (Actually I think he wanted me to come along so I could drive through Seattle.) This morning I spoke in chapel at Lynden Christian... (I had to follow a representative of the Seattle Seahawks giving away jersey's... you can imagine... Seahawks or some college prof coming to "blah blah blah".) But it went well. Then I had free time. Schaap is the rock star... he's the one who has to do the hard work. I just get to drive a rental (new, black, ford mustang) up and down the coast - eating, drinking, and talking with locals. Funny when they find out I'm from Iowa... they are surprised... I'm not sure why.


Northern Minnesota with mountains... that's how I describe northwest Washington state. Wonderful... I'm tempted to have my wife and kids fly out - and stay for awhile. The colors, the smells, the gray clouds and cold damp air. My idea of the new creation... only with a little more snow. Hey, I'm from Minnesota... what would you expect?

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

pappy lief, i'm from mount vernon--right in the middle of lynden and seattle. stop in for a meal with my folks, they'd love it!

J. C. Schaap said...

Highlight of the weekend was getting the lumberjack to like fish--first, clam chowder, then baked salmon. I tried hard because the worldly wisdom says fish makes you smart. I'm guessing your students noticed the diff. And I did point out where Jeremy Westra lived as we floated by in that hot Mustang the lumberjack wouldn't be without.