Saturday, August 9, 2008

Vikings football and Liturgy



I hate to admit it, but I am a Minnesota Vikings fan.  Yes, I know that sports has gotten out of whack in our culture.  I realize how absurd it is to pay grown men millions of dollars to but balls in holes or carry a ball across fictitious lines.  In my mind I understand all of these things.  But this time of year, I start checking the websites to see how the Vikes are going blow it this year.  I get excited for fall... in part because I enjoy making myself miserable watching the Vikings.  Its a family tradition ... begin watching with hope, end by turning the TV off in disgust.  Hopefully I will pass this wonderful tradition on to my kids...

What sports does well is bond people.  Communities gather together around their young warriors... identifying themselves with the name on the jersey, the mascot, and the colors.  I'm from Minnesota - Scandinavian through and through.  The Vikings are my team...

What intrigues me about sports - specifically high school sports - are the liturgical movements that organically develop.  Student sections have certain cheers they do at certain points in the game when certain players perform specific actions.  There are cheers, songs, symbols... a liturgical dance which allow the spectators to participate.  They become part of the action.  Not always in a positive way - but that's not my point.

When we get rid of liturgy in Church... we only end up creating new ones elsewhere.  When we get rid of our holy days... we create new ones.  I find it interesting that the protestant church in North America seems to be falling over itself to shed what are perceived to be archaic litrugies for new seeker friendly approaches.  Thus, instead of being greeted with "Grace and peace to you from God our father and the Lord Jesus Christ..." we get "Good morning and welcome to (fill in the blank).  We are so glad your here..."  Instead of passing the peace.. "peace be with you"... we get "Good morning - how are you?  Did you see the game last night?"  Valentines day and Super Bowl Sunday replace Ash Wednesday, All Saints day, or Easter Saturday...  Our services become friendly, casual, and seeker sensitive... but for what?  To what end?  

Truth be told, I am open to all sorts of styles of worship.  I really don't care if we sing "Holy Holy Holy" or "Shine Jesus Shine"... I'm not a stickler for organs, guitars, or spoons...  I just wish we would quit fooling ourselves.  Quit acting as if liturgy doesn't matter.  Quit equating liturgy with snobbery and "high churchiness".  We all have liturgy... we all participate in and create liturgy.  The real question is... to what end?  How do our liturgies form and shape us?To which community do we belong?  Do we find ourselves immersed within the Divine narrative of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ?  Or immersed within the ebb and flow of North American consumerism...  

1 comment:

Kenyon said...

Vikings-Packers in Green Bay Sept. 8, opening game. I have relatives in the Green Bay area so we need to wupp the Packers so I can make a gloating phone call.