Friday, May 9, 2008

Graduation


Today was graduation.  300 and some former students ready to get on with it, all sitting on the stage, waiting...  They are waiting for their names to be read, to walk across the stage, grab with the left and shake with the right.  They are thinking intently about every step...self conscious about every move.  Trying not to smile...but then completely failing to hold it in.  One girl grabbed her diploma, shook hands, smiled... and then gave the "rock on" sign... complete with protruding tongue.  You know... the index finger and pinkie hook'em horns.  The ones that just can't remain still as a palm muted, grungy E5 chord continuously plays with a 4/4 back beat.  Though she was eyeing her family siting behind me, it seemed as though she was looking at me... and if I would have had a lighter under my academic attire I surely would have raised it in salute.


The service was nice... the speaker was wonderful.  She spoke about the importance of names...of naming things rightly.  Calling things what they are - identity.  A wonderful send off for a group of young people ready to take on the world.  The whole thing set me off thinking about this and that.  About the beauty of the different stages of life.  The youthful optimism and hope embodied by this group of impatient 20 somethings just ready to get on with it already.  I thought about my kids... and the emotions I will feel when, God willing, I hear my daughter Naomi's name read, and I see her walk proudly across the stage.  I wondered how long my son's hair will be under his graduation cap...and what my daughter Savannah might have with her to remember her twin sister.  Hope... freedom... possibility... these are the emotions I felt this morning watching the students do their thing.


And I was also glad to be where I was sitting.  Middle aged, with a wife and kids... and an out of control beard that is getting more grey by the day.  Life is good.  Don't get me wrong, it's tough from time to time.  But that's a part of it - it's what makes life "life".  
I won't forget the girl who gave the "devil horns" sign.  In the midst of a service full of pomp and circumstance... there were little windows of life.  Rock on young lady... and may your life be as full and complete as a Led Zepplin classic blaring over the car stereo on a warm summer evening.

1 comment:

Uncle Amos said...

Judging by your picture, I'm not sure if you've just reentered civilization from some corner of Scandinavia or if you joined an elitist European club that reads german theologians and philosophers. Maybe both.